Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Adventures as of Late

As some of you may know, I've made some drastic changes in my life lately. A month and a half ago I began working with a program called Operation Boot Camp to improve my health and fitness. Let's just say improvement is an understatement. I have completely revamped my eating habits and am hoping to use this blog to help hold myself accountable for what I eat when boot camp ends in two weeks! :( Part of the process with OBC is to write down every single thing you eat and at what time, etc. We have a check list to see if we've gotten enough protein, fruits, veggies, etc. 



Writing down every single thing I consume has helped me SO much to not eat junk! Who really wants to write down "big mac- 7 pm"... "Then I fell asleep and felt disgusting for 2 days," right?! 


You will notice I talk a lot about big macs... The truth is, I love them. I feel like if I tell myself constantly how awful they are for me and how gross they make me feel, it will make me want them less. It's not working. 


I'm hoping this blog will work for me as a pseudo- food journal! Not to mention, I love photography and constantly take pictures of my food. I think food is BEAUTIFUL. I think everything is beautiful. If you don't find beauty in the simple things in life, it's just not worth living. I want to share my love for food and life with you! 


I'm also an aspiring journalist and love to write. Chances are, I will frequently add some "Abby advice" (as I like to call it) to my blog posts! I am learning more about myself with every passing day, and I'm loving it! It is so rewarding to fall in love with yourself after 21 years of consistently trying to impress and please others. Boot camp was the first thing I have done truly for myself in quite some time, and the results mentally are far more impressive than my physical results. If I can make anyone smile with my posts or advice, my job here is done. 


That being said, let's get to the FOOD! You should know that for the last month and a half I have been eating pretty simple, basic (and often bland) foods. Granola, cottage cheese, fruit, grilled chicken, peas. I'm gonna try to spice it up for y'all! In lieu of spicing it up, I splurged a little bit last night (translation: I ate like crap last night). I went to Zoes last night for dinner and had steak rollups and rice pilaf!



Dee-lish! The steak rollups tasted somewhat like a philly cheesesteak, and had the first cheese (aside from parmesan and feta) that I've eaten in a month and a half in it! It was awesome, but I'll admit I felt a little crappy afterwards! My friend got a chicken salad sandwich and fruit, but dug into it before she'd let me take a picture. I guess that means it was good!

Today I had class on campus from 9-5:15 (INSANE!), so I had to eat lunch on campus. I was slightly wary of this, because Russell House boasts restaurants like Chick Fil A, Sbarro, etc. It is so hard for me to go to Chick Fil A and not get those delicious waffle fries! So I decided to go to the Colloquium Cafe right next to my class building. I was pleasantly surprised by the plethora of healthy options they had! They had soups, salads, healthy sandwiches, healthy EVERYTHING! Plus they have Starbucks, so I was basically in heaven. I decided on a half chicken ceasar salad (no dressing!) and a side of fruit. 


Y'ALL. It was so good! I'm a big fan of the Instagram app on my iphone, and use it to edit pictures often, but this yumminess needed no enhancements! It was just that beautiful. I was so happy that there's healthy options on campus! The freshman fifteen IS avoidable, little ones! 

I have noticed as of late that there are far more healthy options than people either notice or would care to admit. I'm not sure if it's ignorance or if they're content with being unhealthy, but so many people consume unnecessary calories, sugar, sodium, etc. There is a healthy version of EVERYTHING. I'm not saying that people should give up their monthly Five Guys burger- everyone needs to indulge and reward themselves sometimes. But food gives you energy for the day! And food that is bad for you just kind of makes you feel icky. So tomorrow, instead of getting that Chick Fil A sandwich and french fries, just get a grilled chicken sandwich on a whole wheat bun, and get water instead of soda! Cutting back on little things like this will make big changes eventually!

Sorry for the length of this post, I'll try and keep it shorter next time! Hope you enjoyed, friends! I'm so excited about this new venture!

XO- Abigail

7 comments:

  1. LOVE it! So...basically...you feel better because you eat better. Fascinating! Nice job Abigail! lumi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I love your blog already! I have been on a special cleansing diet, that my nutritionist put me on to get rid of a lot of toxic stuff that is in my system that I really need to get out, for like 9 weeks now or something and it has helped a lot. I'm not allowed to have anything with yeast, sugar(includes fruit!) or vinegar so it is hard sometimes to deal with. I'm still on it but I do let myself splurge sometimes like with my bday and the fair coming up those will definitely be splurge meals but I feel a lot better now that I've been eating healthier and everything. I haven't had any pop for like 10 weeks now so that is really good and I've been drinking a lot more water. Now I just need to work on the whole exercising thing so I can work on getting in shape and looking hot(and of course the being healthy part is good too) since my sister will be getting engaged soon and married next June. I just want to make sure I'm the best looking bridesmaid there ;) haha. But anyway (now that I've finished writing the longest blog comment known to man) I am so happy you have a bloggity blog! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. AHH! You started one! I think I am going to as well! I am going to try and work on that tomorrow! LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!! Something that might help on not craving the big macs is looking up the calories in them. That always does it for me, it might just work for you too!
    -Brittany W

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you made this.

    While I was in high school, there was a period of time over the summer (after I joined drumline) where I lost around 25 pounds. It's unbelievable how many different aspects of your life a weight in loss can affect and obviously, you're seeing and feeling the same things I did!

    Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bad foods make you feel bad and good foods make you feel good.
    Love the Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Starr said...
    Lots of fun to read. Very quick and entertaining. Way to go. Also, it is not easy to make that transition to eating "better". It does sound like you are eating the right things...fruits, veggies, lean meats, complex carbs, whole grains. It took me a long time to no longer subject myself to the McD's crave of a double quarter pounder w/cheese and large fry and orange drink. But when you really sit back and say, there is absolutely zero redeeming value in eating that, it makes it hard to pull up to the drive thru window and order it. Well, much luck, and I know you can stick to it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just remembered something I forgot to put in the longest blog comment ever. Have you had Chick Fil A's new oatmeal thing they have for breakfast? They gave us free samples the last time we went and it was so good and I don't even really like oatmeal that well. Probably wasn't very healthy though.

    ReplyDelete